Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Shrimp Creole


This has been one of my favorites since I was a little girl. This is my grandfather's recipe and it reminds me of him every time I smell it! Luckily, one of my favorites is also dairy and soy free!

1 bell pepper, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 pieces bacon, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can of okra & tomatoes (or you can use diced tomatoes and frozen okra)
1 can (12 oz) tomato paste
1 small can mushrooms
1 pounds medium shrimp
salt & pepper

Sautee the veggies and bacon in olive oil until tender. Add the okra & tomatoes, tomato paste and mushrooms. Add salt & pepper to taste. Cook slowly for about 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally. Today I put it in the slow cooker on high.... if you want to cook longer turn the slow cooker down to low. I usually do it on the stove on low but decided to try the slow cooker for a change. So far it's working out great! Add shrimp last and cook for about 15 minutes or until shrimp is pink. If you like your shrimp creole spicy you can add Tabasco or other hot sauce. I usually serve over rice!

1 comment:

  1. My son just turned 8 months yesterday and has no intention of giving up the breast. I am so jealous. How did you get your son to take to the bottle? I could commit crimes for some of those foods you mentioned (he's allergic to soy and dairy, but also reacts when I eat any legumes - so no peanut butter! - and poultry). My husband has a blog for our little guy - zacmeister.blogspot.com. Would you be willing to post me a response there? Thank you so much... Oh, also, he just had a bad reaction to Beechnut rice cereal which says it's soy and dairy free - if you know anything about that, please share!!! Catherine aka "Zac's Mommy"

    ReplyDelete